orientation (page 5 of 5)
This is the last page of the online orientation, which contains important information about the application process. On the next page, you will pay a nonrefundable application fee of $25 before moving on to the homeownership application.
Homeownership Application Process
Important application information:
- Must return all required documentation within the time allotted and in an honest manner
- Must participate in a home visit (if applicable) or phone interview
- Must notify us of any change in family size or composition, change in income, change in contact information, or any other material change in the information supplied to us within 30 days of the occurrence of such event
- Pay the required buyer cash contribution at closing
- Maintain appropriate debt to income levels and continue to meet creditworthiness criteria while under agreement
- You may be deselected from the program at any time during the process for:
- Fraud on the application or at any time during the process
- Failure to complete the requirements set forth in the partnership agreement
- Negative changes in the financial condition that affect your ability to pay
- Failure to meet the requirements of either:
- Sex Offender Policy
- Criminal Background Guidelines
Completing the Habitat homeownership application:
- It’s important to know that you are applying for a mortgage.
- “Present Housing Conditions”: Be sure to list your housing need, not your want.
- Must not currently own a home
- Income information:
- Must provide at least 12 months of consecutive income earned
- If you list an amount, you must provide proof of it.
- Your down payment and closing cost contribution:
- Pay the required buyer contribution at closing. Minimum cash contribution is usually 1.75% of the purchase price; they are currently ranging approximately $2,500 – $3,500. (Depending on the loan program you qualify for, your contribution may be greater.) The money will be required at closing, and it cannot be a loan. The funds must be in your bank account at least 60 days before closing.
- Credit Information
- Answer the debt questions to the best of your ability.
- Tri-merge credit reports will be pulled to verify your debt.
- Declaration Questions
- Answer “Yes” or “No” for each applicant.
- Indicate your marital status as “Married” or “Unmarried.” If married, you will be required to apply with your spouse even if the spouse does not have any income or reside with you.
- If you have dependents:
- Children 26 years of age or under may count in the household. Age is identified by the Affordable Health Care Act as a qualifying individual to be eligible for coverage under a parent’s medical insurance plan.
- Children of the same gender do not share a bedroom if the age difference between them is more than 5 years.
Your application is considered complete when you:
(1) Pay the non-refundable $25 Application fee.
(2) Answer all application questions.
(3) Submit the required documentation.
You are not allowed to rent out your future Habitat for Humanity Greater Orlando & Osceola County home!
Like other affordable housing programs, Habitat for Humanity Greater Orlando & Osceola County requires that our homes are homeowner occupied. This means that you cannot use it for business purposes, move out and leave it empty, rent it out, or move out and let others live there instead. After a homeowner has fully paid off the mortgage, these restrictions are removed.
Habitat for Humanity Greater Orlando & Osceola County requires that the property (house and yard) are maintained in good condition.
- What’s next?
- Apply during an open enrollment period.
- Assistance will be available, if needed, by appointment only.
- How long does this journey take?
- Average length to move into a home is less than 1 year after approval.
- Where is Habitat Orlando & Osceola building?
- Silver Pines Pointe in Pine Hills, Orlando
- Arbor/Juniper Bend in South Apopka
Do not compare! Someone else’s journey is not the same as yours.
If assistance is needed, please call or make an appointment: (407) 648-4567.
Applications are processed in the order they are received, so apply today!
If you have not applied for homeownership previously, be sure to click “New Application” after paying your non-refundable application fee.